TABLE OF CONTENTS
In Eduframe, courses can be completed in two ways:
1. manually by an Eduframe administrator
2. automatically, when a student completes all module requirements of a course in Canvas.
Completing a course manually in Eduframe
As an admin in Eduframe, you can mark a course enrolment as 'Passed' or 'Not passed'. Once a participant has met the requirements to pass a course, the admin can manually mark this student as passed. This can be done in the courses tab of a particular student or in the enrolments tab for a selected course, like in the below image:
Based on the result (Passed or Failed/Not passed), it is possible to award students with a certificate and/or credits automatically, if this is setup in settings.
Click here for more information on how to configure outcomes in Eduframe settings.
Also, it is possible to automatically send an email to students once the certificate is awarded, by enabling the certificate email in Settings -> Email templates & Triggers -> System.
Completing a course automatically based on Canvas module progress
If a student completes all of his/her modules in a Canvas course that is synced from Eduframe, it is now possible to automatically mark the course enrolment of this participant in Eduframe as 'Passed'.
The participant can then be awarded a certificate and/or credits, like it is the case for completing a course manually. Also an email can be sent automatically with the certificate included.
Setting this up
In order to start completing courses automatically, on the Eduframe side you do not need to do anything (besides linking Eduframe to Canvas). However, in Canvas a few steps need to be taken for this to work:
1. Set up the Data Stream in Canvas:
- As a Canvas Admin, navigate to Admin and select the account that is linked to Eduframe.
- Then look for 'Data Services' in the sidemenu.
- Click on the '+ Add' button to create a new data stream.
- Fill in the fields as shown in the image below:
- Name/Title: Course Completion Eduframe
- Delivery Method: HTTPS
- URL: Use your Eduframe URL here and add '/canvas/data_streams' at the end. For example: 'https://my-school.eduframe.nl/canvas/data_streams'.
- Sign PayLoad: Should be checked
- Message Type: Canvas
- Application Type: Data Streaming
- In the table, scroll down and look for 'Course'. Click on the arrow to open this.
- Check the two checkboxes behind 'course_completed', as shown in the image below.
- Click Save & Exit
Image for step 3:
Image for step 5:
2. Setting the module requirements for a course in Canvas
For each course in Canvas (that has been created via Eduframe) the result of a student will be automatically synchronized to Eduframe when the student completes all module requirements.
- To set up module requirements for a course, go to the course and select 'Modules'.
- Then edit the module by clicking on the three dots next to the module and clicking 'edit'
- Click on 'Add requirement to add a requirement for this module.
- Select the type of requirements as you like and confirm.
- It is possible to add requirements for all or multiple modules within the course, by repeating steps 2-4.
Now, if a student completes all module requirements within this course, a course completed event will be sent to Eduframe and the result of the participant in this course will be marked as 'Passed' (with a delay of a few minutes).
Please do keep in mind that if an enrolment is marked as 'passed' or 'not passed' (manually) already, the completion of the course module requirements in Canvas by the student will not overwrite the result that was already set previously.
Click here for other Articles around Course editions in Eduframe
Click here if you have any questions for support.